Search

Powered by Blogger.

instagram

Profile Photo

Profile Photo
Amelia

Profile Text

Hi, I'm Amelia! I'm a full time student and beauty blogger living and working in the Southeast United States. I'm originally from England and hoping to move back to the UK soon. I'm an absolute beauty junkie (not helped by the fact that I work at a Cosmetics Company Store) and Harry Potter fanatic. If you want to get to know me better, you can read this post.

The Slightly Excessive Starter Kit

One of my friends isn't really into makeup. At all. But she decided that she wants to get into it and is asking for makeup for Christmas. So, she asked me to write her a list of my favourite products for starting a makeup collection. These are the products I would buy if I had to repurchase everything from scratch. The products I can't live without, so I thought I would share them with you too! I will say that this is an extremely long list and you definitely don't need all of these products to get into makeup, but I've chosen a couple of things from every category so there's quite a lot. Also, this is more of a starter kit for older girls/women ie 16 and up. I may do a starter kit for those just starting with makeup if you guys are interested, as you definitely do not need to be wearing half as much makeup as this if you're younger.

BASE
I didn't include a face primer because I frankly don't use one, I just moisturize before applying my makeup. I have two favourite foundations, both of which are drugstore yay! My tried and true is the Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation in 100 Ivory (post here). I've gone on and on about it but I love it. Perfect match, texture, coverage, love. A recent love is the Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch Foundation in Porcelain Ivory (post here). I love this one because the tone fits my skin perfectly. It is so difficult to find a pale foundation with a yellower undertone. I also really love the Maybelline FIT me foundation, so there's an honorable mention. My favourite ever concealer is the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer (post here), but it is unfortunately not available in the US, NYX's HD Concealer is a good dupe though! I have always loved the MAC Mineralized SkinFinish Natural, but I've not got one at the moment, boo. I do like the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder as well and have recently been using the Bare Minerals Mineral Veil to set my foundation which I really like.

FACE
You all know I love a good contour and the MAC Taupe Shape Blush is one of my favourite products to use. It is unfortunately discontinued, so I've included my other favourite contour shade which is surprisingly Too Faced Velvet Revolver Eyeshadow, that teeny tiny little rectangular pan. Awkwardly enough, apparently this is discontinued too, oops. BUT, it is quite similar to NYX Bare My Soul Eyeshadow and Urban DecayNaked Eyeshadow, so I'm gonna recommend those instead. I'm not much of a blush person, but I use MAC Well Dressed almost daily and either Sleek Life's A Peach or Tarte Dollface if I want to switch it up.

EYES
I've always loved my Urban Decay Primer Potion, but on days where I need a little extra coverage on my lids I use the MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot. They're a little pricey but have lasted me forever. My eyeshadow favourites are also quite pricey. There are great drugstore eyeshadow options out there, but personally eyeshadow is the product that I don't mind spending more on. I'm always rambling on about the LORAC Pro Palette (post here), but I absolutely LOVE it. It's cheaper than the Naked palettes, has more colours, and is honestly better quality. I also love the NARS eyeshadows, specifically the Kalahari Duo (post here). I could also never use another inner corner highlight after experiencing my beloved Nylon Eyeshadow from MAC. I really need to do an updated brow post, but you should all know that my must haves are the Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade in Chocolate, Bobbi Brown's Espresso Eyeshadow (renamed Rich Caviar) and the elf Lash and Brow Clear Mascara. I can never settle on a mascara but I always find myself reaching for Benefit BADGal Lash, Bourjois Volume 1 Seconde Mascara, and L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. I'm going to write a post about it but I may or may not have splurged on the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner and I'm in LOVE.

LIPS
I have A LOT of lipsticks. Like a lot. But for everyday I love the CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lipstick in Darling which are also apparently being discontinued. What the heck is wrong with companies discontinuing my favourite products? They're 50% off at most CVSs right now though so we'd best stock up. I don't think I've ever actually mentioned this on the blog but it's my favourite and only nude-ish lipstick. No balm will ever moisturize your lips like the Vaseline Lip Therapy Skin Protectant Advanced. Trust me, I've owned a lot of balms in my life and my poor chapped lips have never been happier.

TOOLS
I've just done a makeup brush post so I'll let you read that, but I've got to recommend the beautyblender. That post is here, it's literally perfection. I don't know what I've been doing without it. I'll also recommend the solid cleanser to clean it versus the liquid, it's super easy!

Phew that took me a long time to write! So, what are your must have products? Anything I need to add to my list? Let me know!
x