Search

Powered by Blogger.

instagram

Profile Photo

Profile Photo
Amelia

Profile Text

Hi, I'm Amelia! I'm a full time student and beauty blogger living and working in the Southeast United States. I'm originally from England and hoping to move back to the UK soon. I'm an absolute beauty junkie (not helped by the fact that I work at a Cosmetics Company Store) and Harry Potter fanatic. If you want to get to know me better, you can read this post.

The Ordinary

A few months ago, Deciem's newest line the Ordinary made its way onto my skincare radar. And then the queen of skincare (Caroline Hirons, duh) made a most about them and I needed to try them. If you're a skincare freak like me, then you know the habit can get a wee bit expensive (like you could probably bankrupt yourself honestly). But the Ordinary is changing that. Rather than stupidly inflated price tags for a marginally interesting product, and are instead incredibly affordable. Think in the range of $5-$15. Yes. The most expensive item costs fifteen dollars. And I know what you're thinking, but these products are anything but ordinary.

The first thing I picked up was the Advanced Retinoid 2% because skincare goddesses say everyone should use a retinol product and I listen. Retinoids are a little different from Retinol (confusing) in that they're incredibly effective, but generally non-irritating. All Retinols/oids/As/whatever else are derivative of Vitamin A. They initiate the skin to turn over cells rapidly, killing old cells and boosting new growth. Collagen production is also boosted, and rapid cell turnover can help fade hyperpigmentation. Because retinoids act directly on your DNA (slightly terrifying) they provide results really quickly. Under the surface, retinoids thicken the second layer of skin (the epidermis) which makes skin look firmer and prevents wrinkles. Retinoids can also create glycosaminoglycans (which sounds made up to me), which keep tissues hydrated.

I started off using this once every other day because I know retinol products can be quite harsh on your skin, but I had absolutely no problems and started using it every night. I was quite surprised by the texture, it's kind of like a milky-water that absorbs really quickly. I was expecting it to be much thicker, but it absorbs effortlessly! The first week I was kind of like eh, okay we'll see. I should have been a believer. Because I swear that second week I woke up, looked in the mirror, and actually nearly fell out of my seat. MY SKIN LOOKED SO GOOD. Super smooth, and my incredibly stubborn red scars were starting to fade. I think I'm around 20-25 days in now and the improvement in my skin has been almost a 180. You must try it (and for $10 why the hell not?).
I also decided to try the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% because I had restocked on Super Bounce and Glow, but was starting to get low on Pure. I've talked about the combo before, but Nicinamide and Zinc together work to calm irritated skin and prevent acne. I recently learned that Nicinamide also prevents melanin from reaching the surface of the skin, helping reduce hyperpigmentation. This one is more of a gel texture, and goes on a bit sticky. This is super different from the watery Super Pure that I'm used to, but I think both work just as well on my skin. This is quite a big bottle for only $5.90, so much more affordable, but I do personally prefer the texture of Super Pure!

Last but not least is another skincare miracle, the 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rosehip-Seed Oil. I could probably write a dissertation on all of its benefits, so I'll try to keep it somewhat short (if you've made it this far into the post, bless you). It contains Vitamins E, C, and D, plus B-carotene which is a form of Vitamin A. These are all antioxidants which help fight free radicals and prevent cell damage. It's super rich in essential fatty acids like oleic, palmitic, linoleic, and gamma linolenic acid. These are polyunsaturated fats that convert to prostaglandins which help regenerate tissue and the cellular membrane. Because of Vitamin A's small molecules, it can also penetrate deeper into the skin, improving moisture levels and reducing fine lines. High cell turnover and fatty acids also repair the skin from hyper pigmentation and scarring. I haven't been using this every night this month, but probably around 3-4 times a week. On those days I wake up with my skin feeling really hydrated and smooth, and it has absolutely contributed to getting rid of my scarring. I definitely recommend using this with the Retinoid, as retinol products tend to dry out the skin.

Have you guys tried anything from the Ordinary? I already have a long wishlist!
x